<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Paleo Apple Cider Squash Soup


Torrential downpours didn’t stop me from finally seeing Gravity. After weeks on my to-watch list, I finally caved to the 3D ticket price. Final thoughts: I really liked it, but I didn’t love it. This could be because I saw Captain Phillips first and was completely blown away. I’ve been recommending Captain Phillips to everyone! It was the perfect mix of intense thriller and heartfelt. Not to mention I’ve had a thing for Tom Hanks since Cast Away. Don’t judge! 

Anyways you are probably here for the food. This soup has a sweet flavor that blends perfectly with the caramelized flavor of the roasted squash. I could probably drink apple cider by the gallon. Warm apple cider is fall. For me at least. The apple cider really makes this soup stand out! Serves 6. 


Ingredients
1 large butternut squash
1 tsp olive oil
3 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon
1 large carrot, peeled
1 sweet onion, large diced
1 granny smith apple, large diced
1 cup apple cider (make sure it is 100% apples!) 
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp clove
1 tsp dried thyme, ground
3 cups coconut cream
salt and pepper, to taste 

Directions
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove seeds with a spoon. Lightly coat squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pop in the oven flesh side down for 45 minutes. When it is done, gently remove skin from flesh. 

While the squash cooks, slice bacon lengthwise and then in 1/2 inch pieces. Heat large soup pot over medium high heat. Toss in bacon with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Cook until crispy, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel. Add in carrot, onion and apple. Coat with remaining bacon fat. Cook for 5 minutes. Add in apple cider. Cook until carrots are soft. Stir in spices and coconut cream. Once the squash is done and skin is removed, add roasted flesh to soup. Break apart squash with a wooden spoon. Cook for 10 minutes to meld flavors. Using an immersion blender mix until smooth. Once you have reached a creamy consistency, turn off heat. Ladle into bowls and top with crispy bacon. 

Recipe adapted from the Paleo king Robb Wolf here

Enjoy! 

x vanessa 

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM , Blogger Phoenix Helix said...

This recipe looks delicious AND it fits the paleo autoimmune protocol. So, thank you! I just started a weekly Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable through my blog, and I would love it if you linked up this recipe. I’m trying to expand resources for the AIP community. Here’s the link: http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2013/11/13/paleo-aip-recipe-roundtable-3/

 
At November 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Thanks for the information! I added my link! I love your roundtable idea. Great way to gather recipes!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home