<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Paleo Fried Apples with Whiskey Caramel Sauce and Coconut Cream


Thank goodness for apple season! I’m super bummed I didn’t get to go apple picking this year. In fact I’ve never gone apple picking, but I was really pumped to go this year. Unfortunately lots of the orchards in southern California ran out of apples early this season! Thankfully there are plenty of locally grown apples to be had at the farmers market. My new favorite is the sweet tango, but my old favorite the honey crisp is back in season.

If you can’t tell I’ve been on a little bit of an apple dessert kick. Now I just need to develop an apple-pumpkin dessert, and I’d have my two favorite fall sweets in one. Funny story about this recipe. I’d planned to make it one night but forgot to put the coconut milk in the fridge. I figured I’d pop it into the freezer for a couple hours, and I’d be good to go. Well time got away from me, and I didn’t make the dessert that night. I also forgot to take the coconut milk out of the freezer. Opps. So the next day I attempted to make the dessert again. Halfway through cooking my apples, I finally remember the coconut milk was in the freezer and pulled it out. As you can guess it was rock solid, and not being made into coconut whipped cream any time soon. In a rush to still complete the dessert, I simply whipped up room temperature coconut milk. The moral of this story is your coconut cream should turn out fluffy and delicious. Not quite how mine is pictured! Serves 4. 

PS: Rock Chalk Jayhawk!! 


Ingredients
Fried Apples
1 1/2 tsp coconut oil
2 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
1 honey crisp apple, peeled and diced 
1/4 cup honey 
1/4 cup coconut sugar
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Whiskey Caramel
2 tbls apple cider
1/2 tbls rye whiskey
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup coconut milk

Coconut Cream
1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight 
1 tsp coconut sugar

Directions
Melt coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in apples, honey, sugar and spices. Stir and coat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

While the apples cook, prepare your caramel. In a small sauce pot, heat cider, whiskey and sugar over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Slowly pour in coconut milk while whisking. Return to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes stirring constantly. 

Scoop cream off the top of coconut milk can. Save coconut water for later use in smoothies! Using an electric mixer, whip coconut cream for 5 minutes. Add in the sugar and whip for 5 more minutes. 

Place apples in bottom of four 4oz mason jars, drizzle caramel and top with coconut cream. Serve and eat immediately. 

Recipe adapted from here.

Enjoy!

x vanessa 

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home