<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Monday, March 3, 2014

Paleo Mini Beignets


I’m so excited for my first trip to New Orleans in a couple weeks! One of my good friends from college moved there over the summer, and I’m going to stay with her for a week. I got my first taste of Mardi Gras when she face timed me yesterday. I’m so awkward at face timing because I always look straight at the phone instead of at the camera. Anyways from our short conversation, I got to see the start of one of the many parades. The party is definitely in full swing! I’m missing the majority of the madness, but that doesn’t mean I won’t be celebrating here in the cold. 

Yesterday I whipped up this batch of beignets, and I was so excited how they turned out!! These aren’t identical to the original since there isn’t any yeast, but they are pretty freaking close. I don’t indulge in too many paleo treats, but I can’t resist a little stove top baking every once in awhile. Since I spent the day snowed in, it was challenging to not eat the whole batch! The powder sugar adapted from Primal Palate tops off these little nuggets perfectly. 


Ingredients
beignets
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tbls maple sugar
1/4 tsp sea sat
3 tbls coconut milk
4 eggs
6 tbls coconut oil, for frying

powdered sugar
2 tbls maple sugar
1/2 tsp tapioca flour

Directions
Whisk together coconut flour, baking soda, maple sugar and sea salt to break apart any lumps. With a mixer, blend together coconut milk and eggs until frothy. Combine dry and wet ingredients and mix until smooth. 


For the powdered sugar, pulse maple sugar and tapioca flour together in a blender for about 20 seconds until a fine powder is formed. 

In a small skillet over medium heat, melt two tablespoons of coconut oil. You will fry six beignets for each two tablespoons of coconut oil. Once oil is hot, gently drop batter with a tablespoon cookie scoopinto the oil. Only make three beignets at a time so the oil stays hot. Cook for a couple minutes then spoon a little of the coconut oil onto the beignets. This will help set the top for when you flip them. Use a fork to flip and cook for another minute. Cook three more beignets then add more oil. Continue the process of frying batter and adding coconut oil as needed. Serve with a heavy dusting of powdered sugar. Makes 16-17.

Enjoy!
x vanessa



Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home