<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Cinnamon Apple Kombucha


I started off my home brewing journey in mid-December. I was nervous about buying a scoby online so I decided to follow Steph from Stupid Easy Paleo’s instructions here on how to grow your own. It was so simple! I definitely recommend trying this method if you can’t get your hands on a scoby from a friend. My scoby took about two weeks to grow. Unfortunately once my scoby was fully grown, I realized I didn’t have a one gallon glass jar anywhere for the first fermentation! Whoops another time I fell victim of not having all the supplies I needed in the middle of a project. Oh well, I ordered one from Amazon and waited not so patiently for it to arrive. 

When the box landed on my doorstep, I torn it open like a Christmas present, and I got to working on making my first fermentation. My first batch took a lot longer than I expected, and I still think I left it too sweet. I was nervous though on how long I could let my scoby sit. Evidently there is really no harm in leaving it for awhile. So don’t worry if yours takes more than 14 days! Weather can play a factor. If it's winter it will probably take longer when it's cold and shorter in summer when it's warm! I really enjoyed playing around with flavors. I made a really good one, but I didn’t write down my exact measurements. My second time around I didn’t make this mistake, and I am so excited to share! 


Ingredients: first fermentation
1 gallon water, divided
1 scoby + starter tea (this is the remaining tea if you made your own scoby, or the tea it came with if you ordered one)

extras
1 gallon glass jar

Directions
Over medium heat, bring half the water (8 cups) to a boil in a large stock pot. Turn off the heat and add the tea bags. Let seep for about 20 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to remove bags and squeeze out excess water. Stir in sugar until it is completely dissolved. Pour remaining water into the pot. Let cool until it reaches room temperature. This is very important because hot water can kill your scoby. Pour tea into your 1 gallon glass jar then add your scoby plus starter tea. Cover jar with tea towel or old t-shirt and secure with a rubber band. I used a headband elastic!

Store in a warm dark place. My first batch took 18 days to ferment but my second only took 12 days. Make sure to check after 8 days. If it is still sweet, it needs more time. If it is starting to fizz, it is ready for the second fermentation! 

Ingredients: second fermentation
3/4 cup apple cider, divided
2 tbls ground cinnamon,divided

extras
5-7 glass jars, I used old Kombucha bottles

Directions
Use a funnel and plastic ladle to pour kombucha into individual bottles. Leave a little room for the apple cider. Mine filled six16 ounce bottles. Add 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 tsp of cinnamon to eat bottle. Secure lid and slowly turn upside down to help the cinnamon distribute. Set bottles in a light place for 2-3 days. Then store in refrigerator. 

Enjoy!
x vanessa

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home