<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, November 22, 2013

Paleo Sausage and Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole


I’m in Thanksgiving countdown mode. Since I was little I’ve spent almost every Thanksgiving on my family’s farm. Both my parents grew up on farms in rural Kansas. Now four generations gather at my mom’s childhood farm to celebrate. While cooking for a large crowd is a little daunting, I’m ready for the challenge. A kind of funny fact is that I didn’t start cooking until a couple years ago. I was actually banned from the kitchen in fear I would burn it down. These fears were completely unwarranted! After a lot of convincing my family allowed me to cook our gigantic turkey. The turkey turned out amazing and since then I feel like I have a bar I need to live up to! 

Since my family has a somewhat “destination” Thanksgiving, everyone sticks around a couple days to catch up, hunt and watch a little football. Next to the big Thanksgiving feast, breakfast is the second most important meal! Before the hunters take off into the field, everyone has a filling breakfast. This casserole is stuffed full of meat, veggies and eggs. Perfect to hold anyone over to a late lunch. Serves 8-10. 

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs breakfast sausage
1/2 tbls coconut oil
12 eggs 
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 large sweet onion, cubed
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 cup coconut milk
4 cups power greens (kale, spinach, arugula) 

Directions
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Melt coconut oil in large skillet over medium heat and then add sausage. Brown and break up with a wooden spoon. Beat eggs in extra large bowl. Shred sweet potatoes and onion in with your food processor shredding wheel. If you don't have this, you can shred with a cheese grate. Mix into eggs with seasoning, coconut milk and power greens. Grease 9x13 casserole dish with more coconut oil. Pour in egg mixture and stir in sausage. Cook for 45 minutes. Cover with foil and cook for 10 more minutes or until center is set. 

Enjoy!

x vanessa 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At November 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

So, do you dice the onions and sweet potatoes? Or do you use the shredding wheel on your food processor?? This looks so yummy!

 
At November 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Use the food processor shredding wheel if you have it! I need to make that more clear. Hope you like it as much as I do!

 
At January 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM , Blogger Melody said...

How many does this serve? I'm dying to try it, but thinking about cutting it in half since it's just me and my husband. Thoughts?

 
At January 4, 2014 at 8:41 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

This is a big serving. It fed about 8 people, so I would definitely recommend cutting it in half and cooking it in a smaller dish! I hope you enjoy!

 
At January 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this tonight and it ended up being my dinner..It's soooooooo good and so easy to make!! i realized that i had 8 eggs so i ended up cutting down on everything else. do you mind if i post this on my blog with full credit to you? i can even send you the link afterwards if you would like :)

 
At January 29, 2014 at 6:01 AM , Blogger Vanessa said...

I'm so happy you liked it! Feel free to share. I'd love to see it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home