<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Friday, December 13, 2013

Paleo BBQ Lil Smokies


Ok so that name is kind of a lie. I searched and searched for lil smokies without any weird ingredients but came up completely empty! All were filled with sugar, soy and weird ingredients I couldn’t pronounce. If you aren't familiar with the goodness that is lil smokies, they are also called cocktail smokies, cocktail links and cocktail weiners. I just can't get myself to call them any of those names without laughing. Yes I know I am very mature. Anyways after accepting defeat, I settled on cutting up all-natural 100% beef franks into lil smokies size pieces. While it was still delicious, I missed my lil smokies. Does anyone know of a good brand of lil smokies?! Or where I could buy them online? Keeping with tradition, my family always servers bbq lil smokies and shrimp cocktail for Christmas Eve. Yup I know it is a super weird combo, but it is tradition. Before then, I really want to find real non-gross lil smokies. Crossing my fingers! 

PS: Sorry this picture is a mess. When serving a hungry family, they are sometimes not so patient for picture prep. I love them still for putting up with me using them as taste testers! 


Ingredients
2 8-count packages all-natural 100% beef franks, cut into 1-in pieces

BBQ Sauce
1 tbls coconut oil
1 medium onion, minced
28 oz can whole tomatoes in juice
8 oz can tomato sauce
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1 tbls maple syrup
1 tbls molasses 
Juice from 1/2 fresh squeezed orange 
1 tbls paprika
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp liquid smoke
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp coconut aminos
2 tbls dijon mustard
1 bay leaf

Directions
In large sauce pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add in onions and cook until translucent. Add in all other ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally to break up whole tomatoes. If you like your sauce a little sweeter, you can add in 2 more tablespoons honey. If you like more of a kick, add 1/2 tablespoon more chili powder. Use an immersion blender to smooth out sauce.  

Once bbq is done cooking, add in the franks and cook on low until franks are warmed through, approximately 20 minutes. You can also make the bbq the day before then store in the fridge. When ready to serve place franks and bbq sauce in a crockpot on high until franks are warmed through, approximately 30 minutes. Serves 8-10.

BBQ recipe adapted from Bravo for Paleo here

Enjoy!

x vanessa

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At December 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM , Blogger Brianna Baker said...

These look delicious! I have bought some applegate farms brand cocktail sausages that are good and have no weird ingredients. Check those out! :D

 
At December 16, 2013 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Awesome!! Thank you so much! I will definitely look for that brand!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home