<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Paleo Cranberry Turkey Meatballs


This past weekend, I helped pick out my family’s Christmas tree from a local tree farm. We used to do this every year, but the tradition has fallen to the wayside. After much convincing, we set off to pick out the perfect tree. I had my eye on something in the 7-foot range, while my sister set her sights a little higher. More like a lot higher. After a three hour search, we ended up with an 11-foot ginormous tree. It took three people to cut it down, 10 football-sized guys to get it through the bagging area and six of the football guys to get it on top of the SUV. Sadly this tradition might be officially dead, or we might have to settle on a tiny tree next year. 

Anyways, I am still recovering from Thanksgiving. No I am not still full, but I am slightly burnt out from all that cooking! Now Christmas cooking is already gearing up. I have a whole cookbook of my mom’s holiday sweets just begging me to adapt them paleo-style. It might just be me but I have a ton of leftover cranberries. I’m not sure how I overshot how many I needed. Inspired by Thanksgiving, I created these turkey meatballs with a sweet cranberry sauce and a little kick. 


Ingredients
chili sauce
5 tbls rice vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbls honey
1 tsp chili fire oil
1 tsp ginger, grated
1/4 tsp sea salt

meatballs
1 lb ground turkey 
1 egg, beaten
2 tbls chili sauce
1/8 tsp fennel seeds, ground
1/8 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 small sweet onion, minced

Sauce
remaining chili sauce
6 oz fresh cranberries
2 tbls balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup coconut sugar
4 oz pineapple juice
1 tbls arrowroot powder

Directions
Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the chili sauce. For the meatballs, beat egg with seasoning and 2 tablespoons chili sauce. Add in turkey and onions. Using a tablespoon cookie scoop, dish out turkey mounds onto a sheet pan. Set in fridge 30 minutes. Once meatballs have chilled, remove from fridge and roll into even balls. If you went you hands a little with water, the meat won’t stick to your fingers. Place onto a foil-lined cookie sheet and baked for 15 minutes.

While the meatballs are cooking. combine all sauce ingredients in medium sauce pot. Cook on medium until cranberries pop, stirring occasionally. If the sauce is too thick, add another tablespoon pineapple juice. Scoop meatballs into sauce and coat. Cook for another 10 minutes. Makes approximately 25-30 meatballs. 

Enjoy!

x vanessa

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home