<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Paleo Chicken Marsala


The first time I ate chicken marsala was after losing a bet to a friend. If I won the bet, he had to make me dinner but if I lost I had to make dinner. Needless to say I lost. I made a really, really bad bet. I’m almost too embarrassed to say but you can share in my humiliation. I said Brad Pitt was older than George Clooney. A first glance I know you are thinking this was a terrible bet! And yes it is because George Clooney is in fact older than Brad Pitt, BUT only by two measly years. Another fun fact, today is good ol’ Brad Pitt’s 50th birthday! What?! I am in still in shock. 

Anyways, I loved this dish the first time I made it, and it became one of my go-to “fancy” dinners. My love of this dish actually made me wary of turning it paleo. I’m so glad I finally took the plunge! I loved how this chicken turned out. I went on a big limb and decided not to bread it with any paleo-approved breading. I really wanted the sauce to shine. If you don’t want to use the wine, you can use chicken or beef broth but the flavors will be different. 

Ingredients
4 large chicken breasts, butterflied
2 tbls ghee
2 tbls olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 cup baby portabellas, sliced
1/2 cup marsala wine
1/4 cup sherry

Directions 
Butterfly chicken starting at the thickest side and slowly cutting the breast in half. Place chicken in a large plastic bag or wrap with saran wrap and pound with the bottom of a large skillet until the breasts are about 1/4 inch thick. Melt ghee and olive oil in an extra-large flat bottom skillet over medium heat. Season chicken on both sides with salt, pepper and oregano. Place chicken in skillet and cook until lightly brown, approximately 5-7 minutes. Flip and cook for another 5-7 minutes. I have a huge skillet, but if you only have a small to medium sized skillet, cook two chicken breasts at a time with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon ghee. Remove and cook remaining two breast with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon ghee. Once chicken is finished cooking, return other two breasts to pan. Add in mushrooms, marsala and sherry. Cover skillet and simmer for 5 minutes. Flip chicken and cook for another 5 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Serves 4.  

Enjoy!

x vanessa 

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At February 26, 2014 at 3:46 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Mmm! That looks good, and I love recipes that don't have too many ingredients! Do you think I could get away with skipping the sherry and adding an extra 1/4 cup marsala? I don't drink wine quickly and I would hate to waste a bottle.

 
At February 26, 2014 at 5:06 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

I think the flavor will be a little less sweet but it is definitely an easy swap. Go for it!

 
At March 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

So, I tried to make this last night, and I'm definitely missing a step or something. How do you get all four large butterflied chicken breasts to fit in one skillet? Are you supposed to fold them closed again? It still seems like four would still be tight.

 
At March 4, 2014 at 2:19 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

I have an extra large skillet, but I will add a step in because you bring up a great point that not everyone does! Thank you so much for the feedback!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home