<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Paleo Chorizo Breakfast Burrito with Avocado Cream


Sunday was one of my favorite holidays. Nope I’m not talking about the Super Bowl. I do love the Super bowl, but I love this “holiday” more. Can you guess what it is? Groundhog’s Day. It is probably one of the most random holidays, but I have been a fan for years. My love of Groundhog’s Day stems from my dislike of winter. In high school, I had my friends over at 6am before school for groundhog shaped pancakes and a viewing of Punxsutawney Phil’s prediction. This tradition continued into my college years. Thankfully my roommate, Juliana, was an amazing sport and accompanied me to IHOP at 5:45 in the morning for breakfast and to be the first to know what Phil thought. 

During my years in Los Angeles, my love for Groundhog’s Day diminished. First Phil makes his appearance at about 3:45-4am PST. Second, six more weeks of winter in LA is a joke. No one cares because LA really only has one season- summer. Rainy-summer aka winter, cool-summer aka spring, real summer aka summer and warm-summer aka fall. Now that I am back in Oklahoma, I’m back on Groundhog’s Day. Unfortunately Phil didn’t give me good news on Sunday. On the bright side, he is only right 39% of the time. 

I swear that story leads into food. Every early morning in anticipation of Phil’s message was paired with breakfast. Either at IHOP or at home. I love breakfast from sweet to savory. My former favorite was stuffed french toast at IHOP. I’m still trying to recreate that dish, but my second favorite was always a breakfast burrito! This dish uses the eggs to form the “burrito” in the perfect rounded breakfast. 

Ingredients
1 lb chorizo
1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 sweet onion, diced
2 cups baby spinach
8 eggs
1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
1 tsp ghee

avocado cream
1 avocado
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 tbls fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp sea salt

Directions
Brown chorizo in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once meat is brown, add in onion and sweet potato. Stir, cover and cook for about 10 minutes until sweet potatoes are fork tender. Mix in spinach and cook until wilted. While mixture is cooking, beat together eggs and coconut milk. 

For the avocado cream, combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth.

In a medium non-stick skillet, melt a little ghee. Pour in 1/4 of the egg mixture. Cook until almost set then flip with a spatula. Cook another minute. Remove from heat, scoop in filling and roll into a burrito. Top with avocado cream. Serves 4. 


Enjoy!

x vanessa

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home