<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Paleo Gingerbread Men and Decorating Frosting


I’m slightly convinced Amazon doesn’t want my family to receive their Christmas gifts. Maybe it is my punishment for ordering 75% of their presents online. I am not really sure. It is really a double punishment because my Nom Nom Paleo cookbook is also in the same package of goods! I’ve been checking my door every few minutes like a crazy person for the last two days. 

Christmas with my family is actually code for a sweet invasion. Growing up, my mom made no less than 10 different types of cookies and candies. Last year I simply tried to avoid all the sweet temptations. This year I am working on transforming my family’s favorite holiday treats paleo-style. Needless to say this is easier said than done. I always considered myself a baker, but after going paleo I am definitely more of a savory cooker. I love layering flavors into dishes and being able to season it to my liking along the way. 

Anyways earlier this week I convinced my family to make paleo-friendly gingerbread men. We used Primal Palate’s recipe here, and it was fantastic! The only thing we did different was throw the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling out. My nieces loved decorating their gingerbread men, and I have to confess I got a little too into it- see KU cheerleader gingerbread girl. 


Frosting Ingredients
1/2 cup palm shortening
2 1/2 tbls honey
1 tbls vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbls full-fat coconut milk
1 1/2 tbls tapioca starch

Directions
In a mixer, beat palm shortening, honey, vanilla and cinnamon on high for 2 minutes. Dissolve tapioca starch in coconut milk and add to mixer. Continue mixing until frosting becomes fluffy. Scoop into piping bag, fold end over and clamp with a clip. This is great for little helpers. Alternatively you can place the frosting in a plastic bag, seal and clip a bottom corner. Decorate away! Cookies are good for a couple days but will soften with time. 

Enjoy!

x vanessa 

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home