<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Paleo Umami Brussels Sprouts


I feel like it has been forever since I did a vegetable post. Okay so I did post the bloomin’ onion a couple days ago. Evidently my memory isn’t to hot right now. I blame the weather. I’ve lost track of my days with all the snow. Well anyways, I usually try to include a veggie in every one of my meals except I have fallen into a little bit of a rut. I love brussels sprouts, but I tend to just roast them up with a little ghee, salt and pepper. 

After reading other bloggers rave about Red Boat fish sauce, I finally picked up a bottle at my local Whole Foods. Fish sauce and tomato together create the flavor umami. I can’t even explain what umami truly tastes like. To me it is undesirable, but I will give it a go. These brussels sprouts are a little savory, a little sweet and a little salty. To me they are simple delicious! I definitely recommend embracing fish sauce! I know it might sound gross. Honestly it doesn’t smell wonderful, but the flavor it adds is out of this world! 


Ingredients
2 lbs brussels sprouts, stems cut off and cut in half
1 tbls ghee, melted
1 anaheim pepper, chopped
3 tbls honey
1 in fresh ginger, peeled
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp tomato paste
3 tbls lemon juice
3 tbls fish sauce, I use red boat

Directions
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss brussels sprouts with melted ghee. Place on rimmed baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes. While sprouts are roasting, mix all remaining ingredients in a blender until smooth. After the 20 minutes, toss brussels sprouts with sauce and roast an additional 15 minutes. Stir then finish roasting for another 10-15 minutes until sprouts are crispy. 

Enjoy!
x vanessa

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home