<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.plaidandpaleo.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Paleo Irish Boxty + Full Irish Breakfast


I’m pretty pumped about St. Paddy’s Day if you haven’t figured out yet. I leave for New Orleans tomorrow!! I am so excited to explore the city and celebrate St. Paddy’s Day there. Anything I absolutely have to do while I’m there? I’ve never been and can’t wait. I made this breakfast as a little pre-St. Paddy’s Day celebration. If you are actually Irish, look away! I took some creative liberties with the boxty. Since rashers aka Irish bacon are a staple in their breakfast, I figured why not put a little bacon in the potato pancakes! Sorry no black and white pudding here. I just couldn’t. If you don’t know what it is, it isn’t some cookies and cream swirl deliciousness. Just google it.

Have you heard of the website The Eighty-Twenty. It is a fairly new paleo online magazine geared toward women. Their mission is all about balance! I love the idea of throwing perfectionism away. Trying to be paleo perfect 100% of the time is exhausting. I had the opportunity to contribute a recipe and couldn’t be more thrilled. I love the idea of bringing woman together in support of a well-balance life. Check out my Roasted Red Pepper Pasta here


Ingredients
boxty
1 lb turnips, peeled (about 3 small)
1/4 cup coconut milk, divided
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 egg
4 thick bacon slices or rashers

extras
2 banger sausages, I got mine from Whole Foods
2 eggs

Directions
Cut 1 1/2 turnips into small chunks. In a small saucepan, bring two cups of water up to a boil with the turnips. Cook for 10 minutes or until turnips are fork tender. While turnips are boiling, shred other 1 1/2 turnips with a cheese grater. With a dish rag, squeeze out any excess liquid of the shredded turnips. 

Once boiled turnips are finished cooking, drain and add 2 tablespoons coconut milk. Blend until smooth with an immersion blender.Mix in shredded turnips, remaining coconut milk, egg, arrowroot, salt and pepper. 

In a flat bottom skillet, crisp 4 slices of bacon over medium heat. Once bacon is done, dice two slices and add to boxty batter. Reserve a little of the bacon fat from the skillet. With the remaining bacon fat, scoop 1/4 cup boxty batter onto hot skillet. You don’t want the pancakes to be too big or they won’t flip. Cook for 7-10 minutes until patty is brown. Flip and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Add more bacon fat as needed and continue the process of frying the pancakes. Makes 10 small pancakes. 

Cook bangers for 7-10 minutes per side, covered. In banger fat, fry up eggs to your liking. 

Fill your plate with boxty, bangers, bacon and eggs! Serves 2-3. Or 1 really, really hunger person.

Enjoy!
x vanessa


Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At March 13, 2014 at 11:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The boxty look great! My husband loves them, but I never want to cook potato heavy foods. Looks like a great alternative! I'll definitely be giving this recipe a try!

 
At March 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM , Blogger Camille said...

I'm menu planning for my first whole30 today and this breakfast idea looks great! I've never heard of a boxty but I'll give it a go. Happy early St. Patty's Day!

 
At March 16, 2014 at 4:06 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Glad to hear it!!

 
At March 16, 2014 at 4:07 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Happy early St. Patty's! It is definitely a great filling Whole30 breakfast!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home